Central Park in Manhattan, New York. Lady-Photo/Istock.com/AFP picLONDON, June 13 Islands and populated coastal areas are the world’s “hotspots” for invasive species, which can upend entire ecosystems and drive local animals and plants to extinction, a study reported yesterday.
The first global census of non-native fauna and flora found the highest concentrations in Hawaii, New Zealand’s North Island, and the Lesser Sunda Islands of Indonesia.
The 50th US state is beset with alien species including rats, feral pigs, and the firetree, which crowds out indigenous plants in each of eight categories that include reptiles, fish, ants, spiders, mammals and amphibians.
Disease-bearing mosquitos that arrived in the early 19th century have wiped out half the island chain’s tropical birds, with several other species on the brink.
Florida is the top hotspot among mainland regions, boasting a rogues’ gallery of invaders: Walking catfish, giant iguanas, mammal-crushing pythons, and monster African land snails that gobble up native plants and carry a parasite that causes meningitis in humans.
The California coast and northern Australia are also rife with uninvited guests.
The new map of intruder species points unmistakably to how they got there, said Wayne Dawson, a biologist at Durham University in northeastern England and lead author of the study published in Nature Ecology and Evolution.
We have shown that regions with higher human population density, and greater wealth, have more established alien species, he told AFP.
Not all living things that take root in foreign soils or waters cause harm.
But those that do are among the main drivers along with habitat loss, hunting for food, pollution and climate change of wildlife decline around the world, experts say.
Creatures that have evolved in isolation may find themselves helpless against unfamiliar predators or pathogens.
Forests in Guam are eerily silent, for example, because the brown tree snake has devoured most of the island’s birds (or their eggs) over the last half century.
Newcomers often marginalise native species: Asian carp now dominate some US rivers, grey squirrels have replaced red ones in London parks, and kudzu (aka Japanese arrowroot) a perennial vine introduced to the US 150 years ago as an ornamental bush has crowded out many plants.
Benign or not, the overwhelming majority of invasive species are brought to new places by humans.
Sometimes it happens on purpose, for pest control. But attempts to engineer nature can backfire.
Plantation owners in Hawaii imported mongooses to eat the rats that had infested sugar cane fields. But rats are nocturnal, and thus continued to thrive. The diurnal mongooses ate ground-nesting birds instead.
More often, invasive critters spread by hitching rides with cargo. The deadly Asian hornet is thought to have landed in Europe a dozen years ago in a shipment of pottery from China.
Ballast water in cargo ships pumped in and out of huge tanks to keep vessels balanced is also a major conduit, transporting thousands of aquatic species including bacteria and viruses unnoticed across the globe every day.
Under the terms of an international treaty going into effect in September, all big ships will be required to have equipment to treat their ballast water.
“We are arguably creating a new ‘Pangaea’,” said Dawson, referring to the super-continent that joined most of Earth’s land masses some 335 million years ago.
“The consequences of such a virtual continent are profound: the creation of novel communities with mixtures of species from around the world, altered ecosystems, and extinctions of some species,” he told AFP.
There are also financial impacts.
A study led by French scientists, published last year, concluded that invasive insects alone cause at least US$77 billion (RM328 billion) in damage every year, a figure they described as a gross underestimate.
For the new study, Dawson and an international team of two dozen researchers looked at data on invasive species across 186 islands and more than 400 mainland regions.
The Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International has catalogued more than 8,000 invasive species, though the true figure is no doubt higher, he said. AFP-Relaxnews
See the rest here:
Tracking invasive species? Follow the people – Malay Mail Online
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - April 8th, 2018
- Do Ultrasonic Electronic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - March 25th, 2018
- Bed Bug Laws New York | NY Bed Bug Laws | Beyond Pest ... - December 16th, 2017
- Squirrel Gallery :: Bed Bugs Pest Control NYC - December 11th, 2017
- American Oil Beetle (Meloe Proscarabaeus) | Beyond Pest ... - November 26th, 2017
- Soldier Beetle-How to get rid of ... - Beyond Pest Control - November 25th, 2017
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 10 Ways To Keep Those Pesky Ants Out Of Your Kitchen ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services in Charleston, SC - HomeAdvisor.com - November 10th, 2017
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2017 - Pest Control Prices UK ... - September 4th, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- VH1 Announces Scared Famous Starring Tiffany Pollard, Erica Mena, Drita D'Avanzo, Alaska Thunderfk, and More! - VH1.com (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- A Brief History of Traveling With Cats | Travel | Smithsonian - Smithsonian - August 15th, 2017
- GAM Exterminating - Pest & Termite Control - August 14th, 2017
- CINNAMON JANZER: Dogs have better manners than some children - Apalachicola Times - August 14th, 2017
- Exterminators :: Manhattan :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - August 12th, 2017
- Wildlife in Town: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - The Hutchinson News - July 8th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho ... - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- Exploring Outdoors Kan.: Wildlife in town the good, the bad and the ugly - hays Post - July 4th, 2017
- Squirrel , Pest Control and Pest Extermination in Nyc ... - July 3rd, 2017
- Bat conservation group to roost in Pontiac - The Detroit News - June 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Liability Claims on the Rise, Allianz Reports - PCT Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Rodenticide Market Headed for Growth and Global Expansion by 2020 - Digital Journal - May 24th, 2017
- How to: Tips on avoiding ticks this summer - Total Landscape Care - May 16th, 2017
- Brian Kelly Of East End Tick & Mosquito Control: Nothing Bugs This Entrepreneur For Long - Hamptons.com - May 15th, 2017
- 15 astounding facts about trees - Mother Nature Network (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior | TribLIVE - Tribune-Review - April 16th, 2017
- Noises In the Wall - Colonial Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Viking Termite and Pest Control NJ, NY PA, MD & DE - February 10th, 2017
- Ultracide Flea Spray Aerosol | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Contrac Blox | Contrac Rodent Bait - Pest Control Store - December 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - November 30th, 2016
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard Pest - November 22nd, 2016
- squirrel repellent for roof - Pest Control Supplies ... - November 22nd, 2016
- The Pest Advice: What is the Scratching I Hear in My Roof? - November 14th, 2016
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 14th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - August 10th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control - Action Pest Control - August 10th, 2016
- Deer Mice vs. House Mice - PCT - Pest Control Technology - July 27th, 2016
- T1 Mouse Disposable Bait Station | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - July 13th, 2016
- Pest Control NJ - Pest Control NYC - July 10th, 2016
- Bed Bugs NYC Exterminator | Bed Bug Treatment in New York - June 7th, 2016
- Rat Infestation| What causes rat ... - Beyond Pest Control - June 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in The Bronx, NY, NYC - June 7th, 2016
- Exterminators :: The Bronx :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - June 7th, 2016
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs Brooklyn ... - June 7th, 2016
- pest control business.how to start a pest control business ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Milkshake Squirrel Steals Shake Shack from NYC Garbage ... - October 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Brooklyn NYC: Brooklyn Pest Control - October 21st, 2015
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation Reports ... - September 27th, 2015
- New York City Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database NYC Bed ... - September 25th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - September 23rd, 2015
- JP McHale Pest Management, Inc - September 17th, 2015
- Affordable Pest Control Service In NYC, New Jersey ... - September 17th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC-Bed Bug Treatment-Pest Control New York - September 17th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - August 12th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal Squirrel Pest Control NYC Squirrel ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Hiram ME Pest Control, Bat Removal, Squirrel Control, Ant ... - July 6th, 2015
- Squirrels at Wikipedia Pest Control in New York City - June 8th, 2015
- Don't allow people to kill fox squirrels for pest control! - April 22nd, 2015
- Squirrel gallery, Staten Island Pest Control, Pest Control ... - April 4th, 2015
- New York Pest Control Products and Supplies ... - March 22nd, 2015
- JoeBlue Pest Control Exterminators - March 15th, 2015
- What Are the Different Types of Squirrels? :: pest-control ... - February 27th, 2015
- Brooklyn NY Exterminator & Pest Control Services | Pro ... - February 11th, 2015
- NYC Pest Control | Postive Pest | Exterminator NYC ... - January 30th, 2015
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard ... - January 30th, 2015
- Pest control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - January 6th, 2015
- NY Pest Control -Nassau County Animal Control and Pest Control - October 27th, 2014
- Map Of Queens :: New York City :: Bed Bugs Pest Control ... - October 27th, 2014
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in New York City, NYC - May 7th, 2014
- NYC bed bug exterminator | NJ bed bug control | bed bug ... - May 7th, 2014
- Nassau County Animal Control - Long Island Pest Control ... - May 7th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Alabama - World Pest Control Exterminator Maps ... - May 7th, 2014
- Bed Bug,Exterminator,Rat,Mice,Bedbug,Exterminating,Pest ... - April 17th, 2014
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs New York ... - April 14th, 2014
- New York City, Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens ... - April 10th, 2014
- Marauding army of fuzzy grey squirrels storming across B.C. - March 27th, 2014
- Home invasion of the critter kind - March 24th, 2014