What do they look like?
Squirrels typically have a bushy tail. and common U.S. species are around 40 to 50 cm.
By simply watching a squirrel, one sees a free-spirited daredevil. They playfully scamper across the ground, fearlessly leap from tree branch to tree branch, and masterfully run along power lines without a misstep. Squirrels seem to live a fairly carefree lifestyle, but they can create a number of problems for humans.
Squirrels are adept climbers that scale houses and trees on the lookout for predators or nesting sites. If they find a way inside, these curious pests will enter a house seeking food, warmth, and safety. Common squirrel entry points include damaged vent screens and uncapped chimneys. If tree limbs are growing over houses, squirrels are likely to use these overhanging limbs to move onto the house roof and then inside the attic.
Outside, squirrels tear up gardens, eat growing vegetables, and dig holes to store nuts for later use. The pests also chew on utility wires and even gnaw through wooden walls to access homes and outbuildings.
Once squirrels enter a home, they often build nests in attics or wall voids. A squirrel that wanders inside may panic and run around erratically, causing property damage or making so much noise during the night that occupants have trouble getting a good nights sleep. In addition, the pests can spread diseases like ringworm and carry fleas, mites, and other parasites. If you have problems with squirrels, contact your Orkin office and ask them about using non-lethal methods of squirrel exclusion.
Removal & Exclusion ServicesSquirrels can be a challenge to control. Its advised that a professional be contacted to handle the situation.
The Orkin Man is trained to help manage squirrels and wildlife. Since every building or home is different, your Orkin technician will design a unique program for your situation.
Keeping squirrels out of homes and buildings is an ongoing process, not a one-time treatment. Orkins exclusive A.I.M. solution is a continuing cycle of three critical steps Assess, Implement and Monitor.
The Orkin Man can provide the right solution to keep wildlife in their placeout of your home, or business.
For more information or to schedule an inspection, please contact a local Orkin branch office near you.
Aside from seeing the squirrels, signs include their gnaw damage, such as for food and nesting sites, as well as daytime sounds of their activity, such as in attics.
The most commonly encountered species of tree squirrels are the following:
Where do they nest?Tree squirrels generally nest within trees in wooded areas. As humans expand into natural areas, squirrels are forced to look for alternate means of lodging, including entering buildings. The most frequently invaded areas are garages and attics. Squirrels reach these areas by chewing holes in the exterior of the structure and typically nest, store food or both. Their activity is usually noisy and heard by anyone in close proximity.
When are they active?Tree squirrels are most active in the early morning and late afternoon hours. They spend this time in search of or storing food.
What do they eat?A squirrels usual diet consists of fruit, bark, nuts, seeds, buds, leaves, bulbs and insects. If immediate nourishment isnt needed, it will store the food in a cache for winter keeping. Flying squirrels, by exception, are primarily active at night.
Ground squirrels typically do not climb into trees and can cause damage to crops, ornamentals and gardens. These can be trapped and relocated or controlled by rodenticides where permitted.
Most young are born during two periods of the year early spring and late summer. Tree squirrels generally bear two litters per year, while flying squirrels tend to give birth only once annually. Litters vary in count between three and eight, depending on the species.
What can you do to prevent squirrel problems?
Proper prevention is important since whatever is done will prevent damage and possibly avoid health-related problems related to the presence of squirrels.
Inspect for the signs of squirrels.
Squirrel InfestationSquirrel DamageFlying Squirrels
Squirrel Pest Control & Removal – Get Rid of Squirrels
- Wildlife Removal Little Rock, St Louis, Kansas City ... - May 23rd, 2019
- squirrel pest control | squirrel control manhattan ... - April 28th, 2019
- Wood Rat (Pack Rat) - PEST CONTROL CANADA - April 22nd, 2019
- Westchester Wildlife - Raccoons | Rodent Control - April 9th, 2019
- Solar Powered Nite-Guard Flashes Red Lights to Keep Night ... - March 11th, 2019
- Do Ultrasonic Pest Repellents Really Work? | Today's Homeowner - February 10th, 2019
- Getting Squirrels Out of Attics & Eaves - Safe-Home.com - February 9th, 2019
- Pest Control Services New York City - Pro Pest Control ... - January 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways to Cope With the Sound of Rats at Night - wikiHow - November 15th, 2018
- The 10 Best Squirrel Control Services in New York, NY 2018 - July 30th, 2018
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2018 - Homeadviceguide - July 27th, 2018
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - July 25th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Buffalo, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Contrac Blox - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - May 23rd, 2018
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 18th, 2018
- Do Ultrasonic Electronic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - March 25th, 2018
- Bed Bug Laws New York | NY Bed Bug Laws | Beyond Pest ... - December 16th, 2017
- Squirrel Gallery :: Bed Bugs Pest Control NYC - December 11th, 2017
- American Oil Beetle (Meloe Proscarabaeus) | Beyond Pest ... - November 26th, 2017
- Soldier Beetle-How to get rid of ... - Beyond Pest Control - November 25th, 2017
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 10 Ways To Keep Those Pesky Ants Out Of Your Kitchen ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services in Charleston, SC - HomeAdvisor.com - November 10th, 2017
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2017 - Pest Control Prices UK ... - September 4th, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- VH1 Announces Scared Famous Starring Tiffany Pollard, Erica Mena, Drita D'Avanzo, Alaska Thunderfk, and More! - VH1.com (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- A Brief History of Traveling With Cats | Travel | Smithsonian - Smithsonian - August 15th, 2017
- GAM Exterminating - Pest & Termite Control - August 14th, 2017
- CINNAMON JANZER: Dogs have better manners than some children - Apalachicola Times - August 14th, 2017
- Exterminators :: Manhattan :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - August 12th, 2017
- Wildlife in Town: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - The Hutchinson News - July 8th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho ... - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- Exploring Outdoors Kan.: Wildlife in town the good, the bad and the ugly - hays Post - July 4th, 2017
- Squirrel , Pest Control and Pest Extermination in Nyc ... - July 3rd, 2017
- Bat conservation group to roost in Pontiac - The Detroit News - June 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Liability Claims on the Rise, Allianz Reports - PCT Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Tracking invasive species? Follow the people - Malay Mail Online - June 13th, 2017
- Rodenticide Market Headed for Growth and Global Expansion by 2020 - Digital Journal - May 24th, 2017
- How to: Tips on avoiding ticks this summer - Total Landscape Care - May 16th, 2017
- Brian Kelly Of East End Tick & Mosquito Control: Nothing Bugs This Entrepreneur For Long - Hamptons.com - May 15th, 2017
- 15 astounding facts about trees - Mother Nature Network (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior | TribLIVE - Tribune-Review - April 16th, 2017
- Noises In the Wall - Colonial Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Viking Termite and Pest Control NJ, NY PA, MD & DE - February 10th, 2017
- Ultracide Flea Spray Aerosol | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Contrac Blox | Contrac Rodent Bait - Pest Control Store - December 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - November 30th, 2016
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard Pest - November 22nd, 2016
- squirrel repellent for roof - Pest Control Supplies ... - November 22nd, 2016
- The Pest Advice: What is the Scratching I Hear in My Roof? - November 14th, 2016
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 14th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - August 10th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control - Action Pest Control - August 10th, 2016
- Deer Mice vs. House Mice - PCT - Pest Control Technology - July 27th, 2016
- T1 Mouse Disposable Bait Station | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - July 13th, 2016
- Pest Control NJ - Pest Control NYC - July 10th, 2016
- Bed Bugs NYC Exterminator | Bed Bug Treatment in New York - June 7th, 2016
- Rat Infestation| What causes rat ... - Beyond Pest Control - June 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in The Bronx, NY, NYC - June 7th, 2016
- Exterminators :: The Bronx :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - June 7th, 2016
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs Brooklyn ... - June 7th, 2016
- pest control business.how to start a pest control business ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Milkshake Squirrel Steals Shake Shack from NYC Garbage ... - October 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Brooklyn NYC: Brooklyn Pest Control - October 21st, 2015
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation Reports ... - September 27th, 2015
- New York City Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database NYC Bed ... - September 25th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - September 23rd, 2015
- JP McHale Pest Management, Inc - September 17th, 2015
- Affordable Pest Control Service In NYC, New Jersey ... - September 17th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC-Bed Bug Treatment-Pest Control New York - September 17th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - August 12th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal Squirrel Pest Control NYC Squirrel ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Hiram ME Pest Control, Bat Removal, Squirrel Control, Ant ... - July 6th, 2015
- Squirrels at Wikipedia Pest Control in New York City - June 8th, 2015
- Don't allow people to kill fox squirrels for pest control! - April 22nd, 2015
- Squirrel gallery, Staten Island Pest Control, Pest Control ... - April 4th, 2015
- New York Pest Control Products and Supplies ... - March 22nd, 2015
- JoeBlue Pest Control Exterminators - March 15th, 2015
- What Are the Different Types of Squirrels? :: pest-control ... - February 27th, 2015