Soldier Beetle, is commonly found on yellow flowers in late summer or fall. The beetle uses the flowers as a source of food (pollen), but the flowers also serve as a social focus for interactions between individual beetles. Goldenrod (Solidago) is a favored food plant for adults, as are other late-summer flowering plants.
Soldier beetles are a common outdoor insect that can be abundant accidental invaders as either larvae or adults. Soldier beetles are nicknamed leatherwings because of their soft, clothlike wing covers, which when brightly colored are reminiscent of uniforms. The beetles are elongate, soft-bodied and about 1/2-inch long. Colors vary from yellow to red with brown or black wings or trim. Soldier beetles resemble lightning bugs but do not have light-producing organs.
Adults are found on flowers and foliage where they eat pollen, nectar, and soft-bodied insects, such as aphids. The predatory larvae are found on damp ground or beneath bark or other objects. They eat soft-bodied insects, such as maggots, small caterpillars, and grasshopper eggs.
Soldier beetle larvae are long, slender and worm-like. The sides of the body appear rippled or scalloped because of indentations within each body segment. The body is covered with tiny dense bristles and appears velvety. Color is dark brown to gray. The larvae usually spend the winter in damp soil and debris or under loose bark. They are particularly abundant as accidental invaders inside the house in the fall when they are searching for protected locations in which to spend the winter.
Soldier Beetle Life Cycle : Like all beetles, soldier beetles have complete metamorphosis with egg, larval, pupal, and adult stages. Female soldier beetles place eggs in moist soil or in leaf litter in lawns, meadows, and forests. Upon hatching in the summer, larvae live and feed at the soil level. Most species pupate in the fall in small chambers in the soil and adults emerge in late spring, then mate and deposit eggs during the summer.
The larvae of many soldier beetle species are predators that feed on small insects, worms, slugs, and snails. They hunt in leaf litter and in other locations that are damp and close to the soil. A few species hunt under loose bark. The larvae of other soldier beetles are herbivores that feed on potato, celery, and other garden plants.
As adults, some soldier beetle species feed on nectar and pollen, while others are predators that hunt for aphids and other soft-bodied insects. Soldier beetles and their larvae are a food source for other animals. Birds, bats, and spiders feed on the adults. Spiders, ground beetles, and other soil-dwelling predators feed on the larvae.
Soldier Beetle larvae
Both adult and larvae soldier beetles are predators, feeding on other insects such as caterpillars, eggs, aphids, and other soft-bodied insects, Bailey said. They will alternatively eat nectar and pollen if no insects are around. They do not damage plant foliage. Adults are often found on flowers such as goldenrod, where they lie in wait for prey, feed on pollen and mate.
Since soldier beetles are beneficial, it is inadvisable to kill them. They may be a nuisance in the fall, if large numbers of larvae enter a house in search of a place to overwinter. Weather-stripping and caulking will help pest-proof a home. A vacuum cleaner will safely remove soldier beetles that are found inside.
The adults are most active during the morning and late afternoon, seeking shelter from the sun at mid-day. In particularly hot, arid climates they remain inactive during the day, confining activity to the evening hours. They are easily disturbed, dropping readily from the plant and hiding or scurrying away if disturbed. The preovipositional interval of striped blister beetle is about 20 days, with a 10 day interval between production of egg masses.
Damage : But danger is also a part of their short, sweet life. While soldier beetles have developed body toxins that make them unpalatable to birds and small mammals, they often fall victim to crab spiders that lie in wait on the flowers they visit. The lifeless shells of soldier beetles, their life fluids sucked dry by spiders, cling to many a prairie wildflower, bearing witness to this peril.
Soldier Beetle with Fungus
If you ever have any bug related questions feel free to call us either at Beyond Pest Control. Once again, and I cant stress this enough we are on call twenty four hours a day seven days a week to kill those bugs, we arent kidding whether you call us at 9 am or midnight we will be available to take your call and either get rid of the bug infestation, or answer any questions you may have concerning the bug issue. I can honestly guarantee that there will be someone to answer that call. We make it our business to make you bug free!
If you have any questions about soldier beetle pest control check out the rest of our website or go to our blog at http://nypestpro.blogspot.com.
Our pest control specialists service all NYC boroughs, including Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Long Island (both Nassau & Suffolk counties), Staten Island and even both Westchester & Rockland counties.
Read the original post:
Soldier Beetle-How to get rid of … – Beyond Pest Control
- Wildlife Removal Little Rock, St Louis, Kansas City ... - May 23rd, 2019
- squirrel pest control | squirrel control manhattan ... - April 28th, 2019
- Wood Rat (Pack Rat) - PEST CONTROL CANADA - April 22nd, 2019
- Westchester Wildlife - Raccoons | Rodent Control - April 9th, 2019
- Solar Powered Nite-Guard Flashes Red Lights to Keep Night ... - March 11th, 2019
- Do Ultrasonic Pest Repellents Really Work? | Today's Homeowner - February 10th, 2019
- Getting Squirrels Out of Attics & Eaves - Safe-Home.com - February 9th, 2019
- Pest Control Services New York City - Pro Pest Control ... - January 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways to Cope With the Sound of Rats at Night - wikiHow - November 15th, 2018
- The 10 Best Squirrel Control Services in New York, NY 2018 - July 30th, 2018
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2018 - Homeadviceguide - July 27th, 2018
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - July 25th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Buffalo, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Contrac Blox - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - May 23rd, 2018
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 18th, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - April 8th, 2018
- Do Ultrasonic Electronic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - March 25th, 2018
- Bed Bug Laws New York | NY Bed Bug Laws | Beyond Pest ... - December 16th, 2017
- Squirrel Gallery :: Bed Bugs Pest Control NYC - December 11th, 2017
- American Oil Beetle (Meloe Proscarabaeus) | Beyond Pest ... - November 26th, 2017
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 10 Ways To Keep Those Pesky Ants Out Of Your Kitchen ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services in Charleston, SC - HomeAdvisor.com - November 10th, 2017
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2017 - Pest Control Prices UK ... - September 4th, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- VH1 Announces Scared Famous Starring Tiffany Pollard, Erica Mena, Drita D'Avanzo, Alaska Thunderfk, and More! - VH1.com (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- A Brief History of Traveling With Cats | Travel | Smithsonian - Smithsonian - August 15th, 2017
- GAM Exterminating - Pest & Termite Control - August 14th, 2017
- CINNAMON JANZER: Dogs have better manners than some children - Apalachicola Times - August 14th, 2017
- Exterminators :: Manhattan :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - August 12th, 2017
- Wildlife in Town: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - The Hutchinson News - July 8th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho ... - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- Exploring Outdoors Kan.: Wildlife in town the good, the bad and the ugly - hays Post - July 4th, 2017
- Squirrel , Pest Control and Pest Extermination in Nyc ... - July 3rd, 2017
- Bat conservation group to roost in Pontiac - The Detroit News - June 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Liability Claims on the Rise, Allianz Reports - PCT Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Tracking invasive species? Follow the people - Malay Mail Online - June 13th, 2017
- Rodenticide Market Headed for Growth and Global Expansion by 2020 - Digital Journal - May 24th, 2017
- How to: Tips on avoiding ticks this summer - Total Landscape Care - May 16th, 2017
- Brian Kelly Of East End Tick & Mosquito Control: Nothing Bugs This Entrepreneur For Long - Hamptons.com - May 15th, 2017
- 15 astounding facts about trees - Mother Nature Network (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior | TribLIVE - Tribune-Review - April 16th, 2017
- Noises In the Wall - Colonial Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Viking Termite and Pest Control NJ, NY PA, MD & DE - February 10th, 2017
- Ultracide Flea Spray Aerosol | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Contrac Blox | Contrac Rodent Bait - Pest Control Store - December 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - November 30th, 2016
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard Pest - November 22nd, 2016
- squirrel repellent for roof - Pest Control Supplies ... - November 22nd, 2016
- The Pest Advice: What is the Scratching I Hear in My Roof? - November 14th, 2016
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 14th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - August 10th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control - Action Pest Control - August 10th, 2016
- Deer Mice vs. House Mice - PCT - Pest Control Technology - July 27th, 2016
- T1 Mouse Disposable Bait Station | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - July 13th, 2016
- Pest Control NJ - Pest Control NYC - July 10th, 2016
- Bed Bugs NYC Exterminator | Bed Bug Treatment in New York - June 7th, 2016
- Rat Infestation| What causes rat ... - Beyond Pest Control - June 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in The Bronx, NY, NYC - June 7th, 2016
- Exterminators :: The Bronx :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - June 7th, 2016
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs Brooklyn ... - June 7th, 2016
- pest control business.how to start a pest control business ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Milkshake Squirrel Steals Shake Shack from NYC Garbage ... - October 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Brooklyn NYC: Brooklyn Pest Control - October 21st, 2015
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation Reports ... - September 27th, 2015
- New York City Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database NYC Bed ... - September 25th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - September 23rd, 2015
- JP McHale Pest Management, Inc - September 17th, 2015
- Affordable Pest Control Service In NYC, New Jersey ... - September 17th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC-Bed Bug Treatment-Pest Control New York - September 17th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - August 12th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal Squirrel Pest Control NYC Squirrel ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Hiram ME Pest Control, Bat Removal, Squirrel Control, Ant ... - July 6th, 2015
- Squirrels at Wikipedia Pest Control in New York City - June 8th, 2015
- Don't allow people to kill fox squirrels for pest control! - April 22nd, 2015
- Squirrel gallery, Staten Island Pest Control, Pest Control ... - April 4th, 2015
- New York Pest Control Products and Supplies ... - March 22nd, 2015
- JoeBlue Pest Control Exterminators - March 15th, 2015
- What Are the Different Types of Squirrels? :: pest-control ... - February 27th, 2015