WESTERLY Westerly is just across the Pawcatuck River Bridge, but it appears the town is having fewer problems with rats than Pawcatuck.
Westerly has had a small number of rat complaints to investigate since April, said James Broccoli, minimum housing officer for Westerly, Wednesday. There has not been a major outcry for rat problems in Westerly.
Its about six or seven complaints, he said. I think people are worried about it because of articles in The Sun. He said he has cited two properties, but one was for a mice infestation. He said some unfounded calls also came in but he found no signs of rats in those instances.
In comparison, as of August 23, Pawcatuck has received about 25 to 30 complaints and issued five orders, some related to rats, some related to trash, according to Ryan McCammon, Supervisor of Environmental Health for Ledge Light Health District, which is Stoningtons health department.
The numbers are surprising since both towns are adjacent to the Pawcatuck River, which rat expert Robert Corrigan identified as a habitat for rats in a recent Sun article. Corrigan, of Briarcliff Manor, New York, runs RmC Pest Management in Richmond, Indiana, was a principal lecturer at the Rodent Control Academy, and has authored a book about rodent control for pest management professionals,
It isnt clear why Westerly has had fewer rat complaints, but residents and business owners have been cooperative if rats or signs of rats were found on a property, said Broccoli, who started in his position in April.
Where I do see it, everyones been on board, he said. The people from the town have been great about getting treatment and exterminators and doing what they need to do as property owners.
Do the basics first
Working with neighbors on preventive measures is the best way to stop the problem, he said.
What is important for everyone to remember are the basics to prevent [the rats] from coming to your house and neighborhood, he wrote in an email. Work with everyone in your house/apartment and together with your neighbors to prevent rodents. Do not provide rodents with the food and shelter they seek.
Broccoli said it was important to block rats food supplies with practical methods, like using a trash can with a lid.
Cut off the food supply
Feeding animals and birds outside, including dogs and cats, provides a food source for rats, Broccoli said.
Bird feeders and squirrel feeders are also a problem, he said. Again, youre putting a food source out there for rodents to come and eat.
Because they provide a food source, chicken coops are a problem, he said.
Call an exterminator
Broccoli said he encourages people to hire an exterminator rather than try to solve the problem themselves.
I recommend people get an exterminator I tell them to pick who they want, theres a good amount of them on the internet, pick a local company, he said.
He said that owners of rental properties were required also to hire an exterminator by law.
To prevent rat infestations, everyone must participate and remind one another what needs to be done, he said.
People from a community aspect, neighbors should be neighborly, he said. You could say, hey why dont you clean that up over there, or dont stack that material over there, or dont leave your dog food out.
He also said that upholstered furniture, cushions and mattresses should not be left outside because they provide nesting areas for rats.
The more people know about the problem, the more theyll take preventive measures, he said.
Better safe than sorry
Westerly Minimum Housing Officer James Broccolis list of precautions that residents and property owners are responsible for, adapted from Westerlys Ordinances and the Rhode Island Property Maintenance Codes.
Exterior property/premises must be maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary condition.
Premises/exterior property must be maintained free of weeds or tall grass in excess of 6 inches.
All exterior property and premises, and the interior of every structure, shall be free from any accumulation of rubbish or garbage.
Every occupant of a structure shall dispose of all rubbish in a clean and sanitary manner by placing such rubbish in approved containers with lids.
Every window intended to be used for ventilation, and every other opening located at or near ground level which might provide an entry for rodents, must be supplied with adequate screens or other devices that will effectively prevent their entrance.
All doors, including swinging, sliding and folding types, must be constructed so that the space between the lower edge of the door and the threshold and the space between sections of folding and sliding doors when closed does not exceed three-eighths inch (3/8).
Basement floors and/or the floors and areas in contact with the soil, and located at a maximum depth of four feet (4) or less from the grade line, must be paved with concrete or other rat impervious material. Skirting, lattice, or other non-rat-proofed enclosures displaying evidence of rat harborage under a porch or any portions of a building must be rat-proofed at all locations where evidence of burrowing or gnawing was found.
Structures/exterior property must be kept free from rodent harborage and infestation. Where rodents are found, they shall be promptly exterminated by approved processes not be injurious to human health. After extermination, proper precautions shall be taken to eliminate rodent harborage and prevent reinfestation. Mattresses, cushions, old chairs, couches, along with any other materials that may be used for harborage must be removed.
No inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Old cars make an excellent habitat for all types of rodents.
Follow this link:
In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn’t had too many problems with rats – The Westerly Sun
- Squirrel Pest Control in Bronx, NYC - bedbugnewyorkcity.com - February 17th, 2019
- The 10 Best Squirrel Control Services in New York, NY 2019 - February 17th, 2019
- Do Ultrasonic Pest Repellents Really Work? | Today's Homeowner - February 10th, 2019
- Getting Squirrels Out of Attics & Eaves - Safe-Home.com - February 9th, 2019
- New York City Squirrel Removal and Wildlife Control Pro ... - January 1st, 2019
- Pest Control Services New York City - Pro Pest Control ... - January 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways to Cope With the Sound of Rats at Night - wikiHow - November 15th, 2018
- The 10 Best Squirrel Control Services in New York, NY 2018 - July 30th, 2018
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2018 - Homeadviceguide - July 27th, 2018
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - July 25th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Buffalo, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Contrac Blox - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - May 23rd, 2018
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 18th, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - April 8th, 2018
- Do Ultrasonic Electronic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - March 25th, 2018
- Bed Bug Laws New York | NY Bed Bug Laws | Beyond Pest ... - December 16th, 2017
- Squirrel Gallery :: Bed Bugs Pest Control NYC - December 11th, 2017
- American Oil Beetle (Meloe Proscarabaeus) | Beyond Pest ... - November 26th, 2017
- Soldier Beetle-How to get rid of ... - Beyond Pest Control - November 25th, 2017
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 10 Ways To Keep Those Pesky Ants Out Of Your Kitchen ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services in Charleston, SC - HomeAdvisor.com - November 10th, 2017
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2017 - Pest Control Prices UK ... - September 4th, 2017
- VH1 Announces Scared Famous Starring Tiffany Pollard, Erica Mena, Drita D'Avanzo, Alaska Thunderfk, and More! - VH1.com (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- A Brief History of Traveling With Cats | Travel | Smithsonian - Smithsonian - August 15th, 2017
- GAM Exterminating - Pest & Termite Control - August 14th, 2017
- CINNAMON JANZER: Dogs have better manners than some children - Apalachicola Times - August 14th, 2017
- Exterminators :: Manhattan :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - August 12th, 2017
- Wildlife in Town: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - The Hutchinson News - July 8th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho ... - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- Exploring Outdoors Kan.: Wildlife in town the good, the bad and the ugly - hays Post - July 4th, 2017
- Squirrel , Pest Control and Pest Extermination in Nyc ... - July 3rd, 2017
- Bat conservation group to roost in Pontiac - The Detroit News - June 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Liability Claims on the Rise, Allianz Reports - PCT Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Tracking invasive species? Follow the people - Malay Mail Online - June 13th, 2017
- Rodenticide Market Headed for Growth and Global Expansion by 2020 - Digital Journal - May 24th, 2017
- How to: Tips on avoiding ticks this summer - Total Landscape Care - May 16th, 2017
- Brian Kelly Of East End Tick & Mosquito Control: Nothing Bugs This Entrepreneur For Long - Hamptons.com - May 15th, 2017
- 15 astounding facts about trees - Mother Nature Network (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior | TribLIVE - Tribune-Review - April 16th, 2017
- Noises In the Wall - Colonial Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Viking Termite and Pest Control NJ, NY PA, MD & DE - February 10th, 2017
- Ultracide Flea Spray Aerosol | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Contrac Blox | Contrac Rodent Bait - Pest Control Store - December 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - November 30th, 2016
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard Pest - November 22nd, 2016
- squirrel repellent for roof - Pest Control Supplies ... - November 22nd, 2016
- The Pest Advice: What is the Scratching I Hear in My Roof? - November 14th, 2016
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 14th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - August 10th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control - Action Pest Control - August 10th, 2016
- Deer Mice vs. House Mice - PCT - Pest Control Technology - July 27th, 2016
- T1 Mouse Disposable Bait Station | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - July 13th, 2016
- Pest Control NJ - Pest Control NYC - July 10th, 2016
- Bed Bugs NYC Exterminator | Bed Bug Treatment in New York - June 7th, 2016
- Rat Infestation| What causes rat ... - Beyond Pest Control - June 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in The Bronx, NY, NYC - June 7th, 2016
- Exterminators :: The Bronx :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - June 7th, 2016
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs Brooklyn ... - June 7th, 2016
- pest control business.how to start a pest control business ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Milkshake Squirrel Steals Shake Shack from NYC Garbage ... - October 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Brooklyn NYC: Brooklyn Pest Control - October 21st, 2015
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation Reports ... - September 27th, 2015
- New York City Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database NYC Bed ... - September 25th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - September 23rd, 2015
- JP McHale Pest Management, Inc - September 17th, 2015
- Affordable Pest Control Service In NYC, New Jersey ... - September 17th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC-Bed Bug Treatment-Pest Control New York - September 17th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - August 12th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal Squirrel Pest Control NYC Squirrel ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Hiram ME Pest Control, Bat Removal, Squirrel Control, Ant ... - July 6th, 2015
- Squirrels at Wikipedia Pest Control in New York City - June 8th, 2015
- Don't allow people to kill fox squirrels for pest control! - April 22nd, 2015
- Squirrel gallery, Staten Island Pest Control, Pest Control ... - April 4th, 2015
- New York Pest Control Products and Supplies ... - March 22nd, 2015
- JoeBlue Pest Control Exterminators - March 15th, 2015
- What Are the Different Types of Squirrels? :: pest-control ... - February 27th, 2015
- Brooklyn NY Exterminator & Pest Control Services | Pro ... - February 11th, 2015
- NYC Pest Control | Postive Pest | Exterminator NYC ... - January 30th, 2015