Do you know the difference? If not, you better find out.
Editors Note: This article was adapted from Techletter, a biweekly publication from Pinto & Associates, Mechanicsville, Md. To subscribe, visit http://www.techletter.com, or call 301/884-3020.
Often, pest control technicians dont know whether they are dealing with house mice or deer mice in an account. It is important to know the difference if you work in areas that have a history of Hantavirus cases.
The deer mouse, Peromyscus maniculatus, is in a completely different family than the house mouse, Mus musculus. The white-footed mouse, Peromyscus leucopus, is closely related to the deer mouse with similar appearance and habits. The deer mouse is found throughout most of Canada and the United States, with the exception of the southeastern U.S. Instead, the white-footed mouse occupies much of this region.
Physical Characteristics. The deer mouse and the house mouse are roughly the same size, but most people think the deer mouse is cuter with its large eyes and ears and two-tone fur. It gets its name because its coloration resembles that of the white-tailed deer gray or tawny brown above and white below. The photo at left points out deer mouse features that are different from those of the house mouse.
The deer mouse, and sometimes the white-footed mouse, are the mice primarily responsible for transmitting Hantavirus to humans. The virus is found in the saliva, urine and feces of these mice. It is spread to humans mostly when airborne virus particles are inhaled. Human cases occur in sites that have large populations of Peromyscus mice with dusty accumulations of droppings and urine that become airborne when disturbed. In these sites, technicians should take special precautions, including the use of a respirator with a high-efficiency (HE) filter.
While the house mouse occupies urban areas, the deer mouse is more common in rural or semi-rural areas. Outdoors, it nests around the roots of trees, under boards or logs, in tree stumps, sheds, garages, in wood piles, and in animal burrows or squirrel or bird nests. Outdoor nests are made of stems, twigs, leaves and roots, and may be lined with feathers or fur. The deer mouse also commonly nests in abandoned vehicles or farm equipment where it chews into upholstered seats and gnaws on electrical wires.
The home range of a deer mouse nesting outdoors can be up to an acre or more. When nesting inside, their foraging range is similar to that of a house mouse, about 30 feet from the nest.
Mouse Behavior. Deer mice dont hibernate; they actively feed all year long, mostly at night. As winter approaches, they may try to get into homes, garages and other buildings. They are good climbers and can gain entrance to buildings by using trees, shrubs and vines to get into attics or upper levels. Inside, they nest in many of the same locations as house mice. Theyre often found nesting in unused stuffed furniture, or in cabinets, boxes or equipment. A favorite indoor nest site is on top of the sill plate in the basement or crawlspace, particularly in the corners.
An indoor deer mouse nest can be more than a foot in diameter and is lined with shredded paper, insulation, strips of cloth or furniture stuffing. Both deer mice and white-footed mice urinate and defecate directly into their nests. When the nest becomes too foul after a few weeks, the female moves on and builds a new nest nearby. This habit can result in infested areas with large numbers of odorous, abandoned nests which also increases the risk of Hantavirus exposure.
Deer mice feed primarily on seeds of all kinds, but will eat other vegetable and animal food such as fruits, flowers, nuts, fungi, berries, insects, worms, slugs, even dead mice and birds. Deer mice are notorious for caching large amounts of seeds and nuts (mostly in the fall) in wall voids, dresser drawers, cabinet voids and other hidden places. They carry this food to their hiding places in cheek pouches. Infestations of stored product pests, like the Indian meal moth, are often traced to food stockpiles abandoned by deer mice.
Control. For the most part, deer mice or white-footed mice in buildings are managed much the same way as house mice, but there are some subtle differences. Indoors, inspect potential nesting areas mentioned above. Sites favored for deer mice are drawers and storage cabinets in garages and sheds, attics if there are trees touching the roof, boxes and furniture stored in attics, and corner sill plates in basements and crawlspaces.
Snap traps baited with standard mouse baits will capture deer mice and deer mice also will feed on standard rodenticide baits. However, because of the deer mouses habit of carrying off and storing loose bait, make sure to use block baits that are secured.
The authors are well-known industry consultants and co-owners of Pinto & Associates.
Deer Mice vs. House Mice – PCT – Pest Control Technology
- Do Ultrasonic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - Today's ... - May 28th, 2019
- Squirrel Facts: Do Squirrels Eat Mice? | Rest Easy Pest ... - May 25th, 2019
- Wildlife Removal Little Rock, St Louis, Kansas City ... - May 23rd, 2019
- squirrel pest control | squirrel control manhattan ... - April 28th, 2019
- Wood Rat (Pack Rat) - PEST CONTROL CANADA - April 22nd, 2019
- Westchester Wildlife - Raccoons | Rodent Control - April 9th, 2019
- Solar Powered Nite-Guard Flashes Red Lights to Keep Night ... - March 11th, 2019
- Do Ultrasonic Pest Repellents Really Work? | Today's Homeowner - February 10th, 2019
- Getting Squirrels Out of Attics & Eaves - Safe-Home.com - February 9th, 2019
- Pest Control Services New York City - Pro Pest Control ... - January 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways to Cope With the Sound of Rats at Night - wikiHow - November 15th, 2018
- The 10 Best Squirrel Control Services in New York, NY 2018 - July 30th, 2018
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2018 - Homeadviceguide - July 27th, 2018
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - July 25th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Buffalo, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Contrac Blox - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - May 23rd, 2018
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 18th, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - April 8th, 2018
- Do Ultrasonic Electronic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - March 25th, 2018
- Bed Bug Laws New York | NY Bed Bug Laws | Beyond Pest ... - December 16th, 2017
- Squirrel Gallery :: Bed Bugs Pest Control NYC - December 11th, 2017
- American Oil Beetle (Meloe Proscarabaeus) | Beyond Pest ... - November 26th, 2017
- Soldier Beetle-How to get rid of ... - Beyond Pest Control - November 25th, 2017
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 10 Ways To Keep Those Pesky Ants Out Of Your Kitchen ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services in Charleston, SC - HomeAdvisor.com - November 10th, 2017
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2017 - Pest Control Prices UK ... - September 4th, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- VH1 Announces Scared Famous Starring Tiffany Pollard, Erica Mena, Drita D'Avanzo, Alaska Thunderfk, and More! - VH1.com (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- A Brief History of Traveling With Cats | Travel | Smithsonian - Smithsonian - August 15th, 2017
- GAM Exterminating - Pest & Termite Control - August 14th, 2017
- CINNAMON JANZER: Dogs have better manners than some children - Apalachicola Times - August 14th, 2017
- Exterminators :: Manhattan :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - August 12th, 2017
- Wildlife in Town: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - The Hutchinson News - July 8th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho ... - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- Exploring Outdoors Kan.: Wildlife in town the good, the bad and the ugly - hays Post - July 4th, 2017
- Squirrel , Pest Control and Pest Extermination in Nyc ... - July 3rd, 2017
- Bat conservation group to roost in Pontiac - The Detroit News - June 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Liability Claims on the Rise, Allianz Reports - PCT Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Tracking invasive species? Follow the people - Malay Mail Online - June 13th, 2017
- Rodenticide Market Headed for Growth and Global Expansion by 2020 - Digital Journal - May 24th, 2017
- How to: Tips on avoiding ticks this summer - Total Landscape Care - May 16th, 2017
- Brian Kelly Of East End Tick & Mosquito Control: Nothing Bugs This Entrepreneur For Long - Hamptons.com - May 15th, 2017
- 15 astounding facts about trees - Mother Nature Network (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior | TribLIVE - Tribune-Review - April 16th, 2017
- Noises In the Wall - Colonial Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Viking Termite and Pest Control NJ, NY PA, MD & DE - February 10th, 2017
- Ultracide Flea Spray Aerosol | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Contrac Blox | Contrac Rodent Bait - Pest Control Store - December 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - November 30th, 2016
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard Pest - November 22nd, 2016
- squirrel repellent for roof - Pest Control Supplies ... - November 22nd, 2016
- The Pest Advice: What is the Scratching I Hear in My Roof? - November 14th, 2016
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 14th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - August 10th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control - Action Pest Control - August 10th, 2016
- T1 Mouse Disposable Bait Station | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - July 13th, 2016
- Pest Control NJ - Pest Control NYC - July 10th, 2016
- Bed Bugs NYC Exterminator | Bed Bug Treatment in New York - June 7th, 2016
- Rat Infestation| What causes rat ... - Beyond Pest Control - June 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in The Bronx, NY, NYC - June 7th, 2016
- Exterminators :: The Bronx :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - June 7th, 2016
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs Brooklyn ... - June 7th, 2016
- pest control business.how to start a pest control business ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Milkshake Squirrel Steals Shake Shack from NYC Garbage ... - October 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Brooklyn NYC: Brooklyn Pest Control - October 21st, 2015
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation Reports ... - September 27th, 2015
- New York City Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database NYC Bed ... - September 25th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - September 23rd, 2015
- JP McHale Pest Management, Inc - September 17th, 2015
- Affordable Pest Control Service In NYC, New Jersey ... - September 17th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC-Bed Bug Treatment-Pest Control New York - September 17th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - August 12th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal Squirrel Pest Control NYC Squirrel ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Hiram ME Pest Control, Bat Removal, Squirrel Control, Ant ... - July 6th, 2015
- Squirrels at Wikipedia Pest Control in New York City - June 8th, 2015
- Don't allow people to kill fox squirrels for pest control! - April 22nd, 2015
- Squirrel gallery, Staten Island Pest Control, Pest Control ... - April 4th, 2015
- New York Pest Control Products and Supplies ... - March 22nd, 2015