A straw-colored fruit bat snacks on a cucumber at the Organization for Bat Conservation in Pontiac, Mich. on June 12, 2017. The organization recently moved into a new, larger location for their new Bat Zone which will have its grand opening on July 1.(Photo: Robin Buckson / The Detroit News)Buy Photo
Its sort of an echo-relocation.
The Organization for Bat Conservation, a group that operates a live animal center designed to teach the public about the flying mammals, which locate objects in their surroundings by reflected sound, is moving.
The group is relocating its Bat Zone quarters at the Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills to a roomier roost in Pontiac. It plans to host a June 29 media preview and a July 1 grand opening for the public. It held its final tours at Cranbrook last month.
This move is going to be phenomenal, said Rob Mies, the nonprofit groups founder and executive director. Everyone is really focused and energized right now. We have all these amazing things going on.
Michigan has nine species of bats, according to the states Department of Natural Resources.
The webbed-wing mammals are critical to ecosystems in the state and around the world, according to experts. Some species aid in the pollination of trees and flowers while others eat fruit and spread seeds to other areas.
Another benefit: since most of the animals live on a diet of insects, they contribute millions of dollars in pest control to Michigans agricultural industry, the DNR said.
However, Michigans bat population has been struggling with a loss of habitat and a fungus, Pseudogymnoascus destructans, that causes a disease called white-nose syndrome.
The white fungus, which came from Europe, thrives in cold environments where bats hibernate. It also grows on bats skin, damaging it and forcing them to frequently wake up from hibernation. Infected bats use up their fat stores before winter ends and starve to death. Mies said its estimated the fungus is annually killing off about one million bats in North America.
State officials have identified five species big brown bats, little brown bats, northern long-eared bats, tri-colored bats and Indiana bats as the bats in Michigan most susceptible to the disease. Experts predict it could wipe out at least two the states bat species in the next decade.
Moving on out
The Organization for Bat Conservation first took flight in 1997 as a small team that offered educational programs featuring live bats to schools, nature centers and museums.
Five years later, the OBC signed a one-year lease for space on Cranbrooks campus off of Woodward. The groups bats and other nocturnal animals have called Cranbrook home for the last 15 years.
Mies said the OBC needed to move to a larger cave a 10,000-square-foot building on west Huron street near Woodward Avenue in Pontiac that once housed a First Federal Bank because its growth and new projects required more space.
It had 2,000 square-feet of space at Cranbrook, according to Mies. The group had a staff of eight, including Mies, and about 100 bats from around the world when it first took up residence there, he said.
Since then, its grown to a staff of 15 with about 20 more volunteers. It has nearly 200 bats in its program as well as owls, flying squirrels and a two-toed sloth. Mies said the growth forced the nonprofit to keep animals and employees in different buildings.
In 2014, the group launched its national Save the Bats campaign, an effort to mobilize Americans to become involved in bat conservation.
Last year, Zack Snyder, the director of Hollywood movies Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Man of Steel, and 300, lent his talents and notoriety to the cause. Snyder and his Batman v Superman stars, Ben Affleck and Amy Adams, appeared in a public service announcement for the campaign.
Mies said the group plans to kickoff this year a new urban bat project.
Bats that winter in urban areas are the least affected by white-nose syndrome, but very little is known about those animals, he said.
Under the new initiative, the group will select 10 U.S. cities, including Pontiac, Detroit, Minneapolis, New York and Washington, D.C., to install bat houses, plant bat-friendly gardens and establish citizen-science driven acoustic monitoring programs.
This is really about finding out where bats live in our cities, where they feed, what we can do to keep them out of human buildings and increase bats population, he said.
The new building the OBC is leasing will allow it to expand its interactive programs, house more animals and give its animals larger enclosures.
It looked at a lot of different places in the region for a new home, but chose the Pontiac building because of its location and new developments that are drawing people and businesses to the city, Mies said.
Still, the group is feeling a little nostalgic about leaving Cranbrook.
Weve loved partnering with the Cranbrook Institute of Science for the last 15 years, he said. Its been a big chunk of the time of our organizations existence and the grounds are beautiful.
Michael Stafford, Cranbrooks director, said the institute wishes the bat group well.
After the OBC moves into its new home, Cranbrook will use the nonprofits old building for interactive, hands-on educational programs. It will reopen in late summer and the first program will focus on dinosaurs, officials said.
Cranbrook Institute of Science cherishes both environmental sustainability and education, he said in a statement. We fully support the OBCs mission to educate people about bats and inspire them to become actively involved in conservation. This move will enhance the Bat Zone mission and vision and further inspire its growth.
On the move
The Organization for Bat Conservation is moving from Cranbrooks Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills to a new home in Pontiac.
Its new address is 75 W. Huron Street, Pontiac, MI 48342.
To contact the OBC, call (248) 294-7370 or send an email through its site.
Source: Organization for Bat Conservation
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/2tqjNij
Here is the original post:
Bat conservation group to roost in Pontiac – The Detroit News
- Do Ultrasonic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - Today's ... - May 28th, 2019
- Squirrel Facts: Do Squirrels Eat Mice? | Rest Easy Pest ... - May 25th, 2019
- Wildlife Removal Little Rock, St Louis, Kansas City ... - May 23rd, 2019
- squirrel pest control | squirrel control manhattan ... - April 28th, 2019
- Wood Rat (Pack Rat) - PEST CONTROL CANADA - April 22nd, 2019
- Westchester Wildlife - Raccoons | Rodent Control - April 9th, 2019
- Solar Powered Nite-Guard Flashes Red Lights to Keep Night ... - March 11th, 2019
- Do Ultrasonic Pest Repellents Really Work? | Today's Homeowner - February 10th, 2019
- Getting Squirrels Out of Attics & Eaves - Safe-Home.com - February 9th, 2019
- Pest Control Services New York City - Pro Pest Control ... - January 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways to Cope With the Sound of Rats at Night - wikiHow - November 15th, 2018
- The 10 Best Squirrel Control Services in New York, NY 2018 - July 30th, 2018
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2018 - Homeadviceguide - July 27th, 2018
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - July 25th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Buffalo, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Contrac Blox - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - May 23rd, 2018
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 18th, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - April 8th, 2018
- Do Ultrasonic Electronic Pest Repellents Really Work ... - March 25th, 2018
- Bed Bug Laws New York | NY Bed Bug Laws | Beyond Pest ... - December 16th, 2017
- Squirrel Gallery :: Bed Bugs Pest Control NYC - December 11th, 2017
- American Oil Beetle (Meloe Proscarabaeus) | Beyond Pest ... - November 26th, 2017
- Soldier Beetle-How to get rid of ... - Beyond Pest Control - November 25th, 2017
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 10 Ways To Keep Those Pesky Ants Out Of Your Kitchen ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services in Charleston, SC - HomeAdvisor.com - November 10th, 2017
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2017 - Pest Control Prices UK ... - September 4th, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- VH1 Announces Scared Famous Starring Tiffany Pollard, Erica Mena, Drita D'Avanzo, Alaska Thunderfk, and More! - VH1.com (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- A Brief History of Traveling With Cats | Travel | Smithsonian - Smithsonian - August 15th, 2017
- GAM Exterminating - Pest & Termite Control - August 14th, 2017
- CINNAMON JANZER: Dogs have better manners than some children - Apalachicola Times - August 14th, 2017
- Exterminators :: Manhattan :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - August 12th, 2017
- Wildlife in Town: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - The Hutchinson News - July 8th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho ... - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- Exploring Outdoors Kan.: Wildlife in town the good, the bad and the ugly - hays Post - July 4th, 2017
- Squirrel , Pest Control and Pest Extermination in Nyc ... - July 3rd, 2017
- Bed Bug Liability Claims on the Rise, Allianz Reports - PCT Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Tracking invasive species? Follow the people - Malay Mail Online - June 13th, 2017
- Rodenticide Market Headed for Growth and Global Expansion by 2020 - Digital Journal - May 24th, 2017
- How to: Tips on avoiding ticks this summer - Total Landscape Care - May 16th, 2017
- Brian Kelly Of East End Tick & Mosquito Control: Nothing Bugs This Entrepreneur For Long - Hamptons.com - May 15th, 2017
- 15 astounding facts about trees - Mother Nature Network (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior | TribLIVE - Tribune-Review - April 16th, 2017
- Noises In the Wall - Colonial Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Viking Termite and Pest Control NJ, NY PA, MD & DE - February 10th, 2017
- Ultracide Flea Spray Aerosol | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Contrac Blox | Contrac Rodent Bait - Pest Control Store - December 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - November 30th, 2016
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard Pest - November 22nd, 2016
- squirrel repellent for roof - Pest Control Supplies ... - November 22nd, 2016
- The Pest Advice: What is the Scratching I Hear in My Roof? - November 14th, 2016
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 14th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - August 10th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control - Action Pest Control - August 10th, 2016
- Deer Mice vs. House Mice - PCT - Pest Control Technology - July 27th, 2016
- T1 Mouse Disposable Bait Station | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - July 13th, 2016
- Pest Control NJ - Pest Control NYC - July 10th, 2016
- Bed Bugs NYC Exterminator | Bed Bug Treatment in New York - June 7th, 2016
- Rat Infestation| What causes rat ... - Beyond Pest Control - June 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in The Bronx, NY, NYC - June 7th, 2016
- Exterminators :: The Bronx :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - June 7th, 2016
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs Brooklyn ... - June 7th, 2016
- pest control business.how to start a pest control business ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Milkshake Squirrel Steals Shake Shack from NYC Garbage ... - October 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Brooklyn NYC: Brooklyn Pest Control - October 21st, 2015
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation Reports ... - September 27th, 2015
- New York City Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database NYC Bed ... - September 25th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - September 23rd, 2015
- JP McHale Pest Management, Inc - September 17th, 2015
- Affordable Pest Control Service In NYC, New Jersey ... - September 17th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC-Bed Bug Treatment-Pest Control New York - September 17th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - August 12th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal Squirrel Pest Control NYC Squirrel ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Hiram ME Pest Control, Bat Removal, Squirrel Control, Ant ... - July 6th, 2015
- Squirrels at Wikipedia Pest Control in New York City - June 8th, 2015
- Don't allow people to kill fox squirrels for pest control! - April 22nd, 2015
- Squirrel gallery, Staten Island Pest Control, Pest Control ... - April 4th, 2015
- New York Pest Control Products and Supplies ... - March 22nd, 2015