American Oil Beetle, are a family of beetles. This species, Meloe proscarabaeus is bluish black in colour with a long swollen abdomen, which is particularly pronounced in females when they are producing eggs. Females are usually much bigger than males.
American Oil Beetle
In arthropods (crustaceans, insects and arachnids) the abdomen is the hind region of the body, which is usually segmented to a degree (but not visibly in most spiders). In crustacea (e.g. crabs) some of the limbs attach to the abdomen; in insects the limbs are attached to the thorax (the part of the body nearest to the head) and not the abdomen. In vertebrates the abdomen is the part of the body that contains the internal organs (except the heart and lungs).
american Oil beetles are flightless as they lack significant wings and shell covering that appears as though a series of overlapping plates. Antenna are visible on the head. The insect can appear as a dull black or in some cases a shiney black or dark blue. These particular beetles do not fly and are slow movers.
Life Cycle: Oil beetles have some of the most extraordinary life cycles of any UK insect. They are parasitic on various species of ground nesting solitary bees. The female lays lots of eggs to ensure that at least some larvae will make it to an adult stage.
Larvae are typically very different in appearance to adults; they are able to feed and move around but usually are unable to reproduce. Organisms that derives food from, and live in or on, another living organism at the hosts expense. Pupation is the the process of forming a pupa, the stage in an insects development when huge changes occur that reorganise the larval form into the adult form. In butterflies the pupa is also called a chrysalis.
American Oil Beetle
Adult oil beetles can live for up to five months and feed on the leaves of various plants such as grasses, buttercup and lesser celandine. Female oil beetles are considerably bigger than males and become much larger when carrying eggs. The females excavate a small burrow or burrows in sandy soil near nesting aggregations of solitary mining bees and lay up to 1000 eggs! Eggs hatch and the oil beetle larvae called triangulins emerge to coincide with the emergence of the bee hosts.
Damage:Under normal circumstances, damage from leaf beetles although unsightly, is not detrimental to tree health. However, in some cases damage from these pests may severely stress trees/shrubs and even cause death. This is most common when very young trees, recently transplanted trees, and/or trees that are under stress from other factors (i.e. insects, diseases, environmental) are involved. These additional factors are often producing stress that combined with leaf defoliation, leads to plant demise. Even with healthy trees, several years of repeated, heavy defoliations can severely stress a tree. Again, these instances are uncommon and aesthetic injury is most often the only problem.
A common nuisance produced by the elm leaf beetle is its habit of seeking overwintering shelter in homes during the fall. These beetles wont reproduce indoors, bite, or feed on food or clothing. They can be physically removed using a vacuum cleaner if populations are heavy. No chemical controls are suggested.
Controls:Whether control is needed for aesthetic or health reasons, several options are available. Conventional pesticides such as carbaryl (Sevin), chlorpyrifos (Dursban) and acephate (Orthene) are very effective. Environmentally sound alternatives to conventional pesticides such as the bacterium, Bacillus thuringiensis var. tenebrionis (M-Trak) are also effective. Regardless of the material used, applications should be made to the foliage as soon as eggs hatch while larvae are still small. Older larvae are more difficult to kill and produce more damage than when they are young. Thorough coverage is essential to obtain adequate control.
American Oil Beetle Damage
Trunk banding is a commonly suggested control technique for elm leaf beetle. The beetles habit of crawling down the trunk after feeding makes it vulnerable to insecticide applications. Insecticides applied to the trunk prior to this migration will result in killing the larvae before they reach pupation sites near the soil. This method of control has positive and negative aspects, but overall is probably not a very efficient means of controlling elm leaf beetle. Advantages to this method are ease of application and safety through reduced pesticide drift and quantities.
The drawback is that it wont prevent foliage damage by the first generation beetles. Because the insecticide kills larvae as they migrate after feeding, trees will sustain feeding damage. However, second generation feeding will be reduced through fewer adults emerging from the first generation. This approach is useful if you have an isolated elm tree and are not concerned about defoliation by first generation beetles. If, however, there are many elms in the area, second generation adult beetles from other trees (unless also treated) can fly to and feed on any elm in the area.
If you ever have any bug related questions feel free to call us either at Beyond Pest Control. Once again, and I cant stress this enough we are on call twenty four hours a day seven days a week to kill those bugs, we arent kidding whether you call us at 9 am or midnight we will be available to take your call and either get rid of the bug infestation, or answer any questions you may have concerning the bug issue. I can honestly guarantee that there will be someone to answer that call. We make it our business to make you bug free!
If you have any questions about pest control check out the rest of our website or go to our blog at http://nypestpro.blogspot.com.
Our pest control specialists service all NYC boroughs, including Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Long Island (both Nassau & Suffolk counties), Staten Island and even both Westchester & Rockland counties.
Read the original post:
American Oil Beetle (Meloe Proscarabaeus) | Beyond Pest …
- Bed Bug Laws New York | NY Bed Bug Laws | Beyond Pest ... - December 16th, 2017
- Squirrel Gallery :: Bed Bugs Pest Control NYC - December 11th, 2017
- Soldier Beetle-How to get rid of ... - Beyond Pest Control - November 25th, 2017
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 10 Ways To Keep Those Pesky Ants Out Of Your Kitchen ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services in Charleston, SC - HomeAdvisor.com - November 10th, 2017
- Pest Control Cost Guide 2017 - Pest Control Prices UK ... - September 4th, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- VH1 Announces Scared Famous Starring Tiffany Pollard, Erica Mena, Drita D'Avanzo, Alaska Thunderfk, and More! - VH1.com (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- A Brief History of Traveling With Cats | Travel | Smithsonian - Smithsonian - August 15th, 2017
- GAM Exterminating - Pest & Termite Control - August 14th, 2017
- CINNAMON JANZER: Dogs have better manners than some children - Apalachicola Times - August 14th, 2017
- Exterminators :: Manhattan :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - August 12th, 2017
- Wildlife in Town: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - The Hutchinson News - July 8th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho ... - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- Exploring Outdoors Kan.: Wildlife in town the good, the bad and the ugly - hays Post - July 4th, 2017
- Squirrel , Pest Control and Pest Extermination in Nyc ... - July 3rd, 2017
- Bat conservation group to roost in Pontiac - The Detroit News - June 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Liability Claims on the Rise, Allianz Reports - PCT Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Tracking invasive species? Follow the people - Malay Mail Online - June 13th, 2017
- Rodenticide Market Headed for Growth and Global Expansion by 2020 - Digital Journal - May 24th, 2017
- How to: Tips on avoiding ticks this summer - Total Landscape Care - May 16th, 2017
- Brian Kelly Of East End Tick & Mosquito Control: Nothing Bugs This Entrepreneur For Long - Hamptons.com - May 15th, 2017
- 15 astounding facts about trees - Mother Nature Network (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior | TribLIVE - Tribune-Review - April 16th, 2017
- Noises In the Wall - Colonial Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Viking Termite and Pest Control NJ, NY PA, MD & DE - February 10th, 2017
- Ultracide Flea Spray Aerosol | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Contrac Blox | Contrac Rodent Bait - Pest Control Store - December 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - November 30th, 2016
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard Pest - November 22nd, 2016
- squirrel repellent for roof - Pest Control Supplies ... - November 22nd, 2016
- The Pest Advice: What is the Scratching I Hear in My Roof? - November 14th, 2016
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 14th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - August 10th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control - Action Pest Control - August 10th, 2016
- Deer Mice vs. House Mice - PCT - Pest Control Technology - July 27th, 2016
- T1 Mouse Disposable Bait Station | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - July 13th, 2016
- Pest Control NJ - Pest Control NYC - July 10th, 2016
- Bed Bugs NYC Exterminator | Bed Bug Treatment in New York - June 7th, 2016
- Rat Infestation| What causes rat ... - Beyond Pest Control - June 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in The Bronx, NY, NYC - June 7th, 2016
- Exterminators :: The Bronx :: NYC :: Squirrels Gallery - June 7th, 2016
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs Brooklyn ... - June 7th, 2016
- pest control business.how to start a pest control business ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Milkshake Squirrel Steals Shake Shack from NYC Garbage ... - October 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Brooklyn NYC: Brooklyn Pest Control - October 21st, 2015
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation Reports ... - September 27th, 2015
- New York City Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database NYC Bed ... - September 25th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - September 23rd, 2015
- JP McHale Pest Management, Inc - September 17th, 2015
- Affordable Pest Control Service In NYC, New Jersey ... - September 17th, 2015
- Exterminator NYC-Bed Bug Treatment-Pest Control New York - September 17th, 2015
- NJ Pest Control | Wildlife Removal | 24 Hour Exterminator - August 12th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal Squirrel Pest Control NYC Squirrel ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Hiram ME Pest Control, Bat Removal, Squirrel Control, Ant ... - July 6th, 2015
- Squirrels at Wikipedia Pest Control in New York City - June 8th, 2015
- Don't allow people to kill fox squirrels for pest control! - April 22nd, 2015
- Squirrel gallery, Staten Island Pest Control, Pest Control ... - April 4th, 2015
- New York Pest Control Products and Supplies ... - March 22nd, 2015
- JoeBlue Pest Control Exterminators - March 15th, 2015
- What Are the Different Types of Squirrels? :: pest-control ... - February 27th, 2015
- Brooklyn NY Exterminator & Pest Control Services | Pro ... - February 11th, 2015
- NYC Pest Control | Postive Pest | Exterminator NYC ... - January 30th, 2015
- New York Pest Control & Exterminator in NYC | Standard ... - January 30th, 2015
- Pest control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - January 6th, 2015
- NY Pest Control -Nassau County Animal Control and Pest Control - October 27th, 2014
- Map Of Queens :: New York City :: Bed Bugs Pest Control ... - October 27th, 2014
- Bed Bug Exterminator Services in New York City, NYC - May 7th, 2014
- NYC bed bug exterminator | NJ bed bug control | bed bug ... - May 7th, 2014
- Nassau County Animal Control - Long Island Pest Control ... - May 7th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Alabama - World Pest Control Exterminator Maps ... - May 7th, 2014
- Bed Bug,Exterminator,Rat,Mice,Bedbug,Exterminating,Pest ... - April 17th, 2014
- Squirrel Exterminator Pest Control By Bed Bugs New York ... - April 14th, 2014
- New York City, Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens ... - April 10th, 2014
- Marauding army of fuzzy grey squirrels storming across B.C. - March 27th, 2014
- Home invasion of the critter kind - March 24th, 2014
- Squirrel Pest Control Effective Methods Of Prevention - March 21st, 2014
- Berkeley squirrels and the mystery of the vanishing e-mails - March 14th, 2014